Shortly after Balcomie was reopened in 1895 the Tennis Green's Pavillion, in Crail, was purchased for £5 and converted into a clubhouse. The "great need" for a clubhouse was first recorded in 1903 when the Society's dependence on summer visitors and their desire for everything "pertaining to up-to-date golf" was highlighted. The ladies boosted funds through a sale of work, and subscription lists were also opened. The construction of a clubhouse on the present site began in 1904 at a cost of £680.
In 1935 the gentlemen's room was enlarged into a "commodious clubroom" with a large window commanding magnificent views of both the links and the sea.
Virtually rebuilt, extended and refurbished in 2009, it offers members and guests state of the art facilities. With two bars and three separate eating areas to cater for all requirements it provides the perfect prelude to an enjoyable round or a fine setting to dissect the completed round. There can be few better experiences than standing on the deck, drink in hand, with friends on a balmy summer evening watching golfers below you try to par the challenging par 3 18th hole.
Catering is provided by Alan and Carolyn Henderson who have years of experience in golf club hospitality and have recently brought their own particular brand of this to Crail to the delight of members and guests.
The closing hours of the bar and the clubhouse are required to be flexible to meet the needs of the business.
Local suppliers are used whenever possible and their menu is designed to meet the requirements of a the very diverse membership and range of visitors to Balcomie. Meat is purchased from the famed Penman Butcher in Crail, the fish is delivered fresh by Wilson’s of Pittenweem and the morning rolls are provided by Barnetts of Crail.
Special dietary requirements can be accommodated, but we would prefer some notice to be able to do so.
Please look for the daily ‘Specials’ board and we would very much appreciate if you could telephone in advance to book a table to avoid any disappointment.